The Irish Maritime Development Office (IMDO) is Ireland’s national dedicated development, promotional and marketing agency for the shipping and shipping services sector.
The IMDO is the Irish government agency which provides support to national and international maritime businesses in Ireland. It is the aim of the IMDO to be the focal point for maritime business in Ireland. The IMDO provides government and industry with a range of information and reporting across the sector and works with international businesses to help them set-up or expand in Ireland. The IMDO is also Ireland’s designated Shortsea Shipping Agency and provides independent advice and guidance on EU funding initiatives.
The IMDO was established by the Fisheries (Amendment) Act 1999, as part of the Marine Institute, under an amendment to the Marine Institute Act 1991 in December 1999. The IMDO commenced operations in July 2000. After subsequent amendment in the Harbours (Amendment) Act 2009 its legislative mandate includes the following functions:
- To promote and assist the development of Irish shipping and Irish shipping services and seafarer training.
- To liaise with, support and market the shipping and shipping services sector.
- To advise the Minister for Transport on the development and co-ordination of policy in the shipping and shipping services sector so as to protect and create employment.
- To carry out policy as may be specified by the Minister for Transport relating to the shipping and shipping services sector and seafarer training.
- To advise the Minister for Transport on the development and co-ordination of policy and to carry out policy, as may be specified by that Minister, relating to ports and the ports services sector, and;
- any additional functions relating to the shipping and shipping services sector conferred on the Institute under section 4(4) of this Act.
Shipping services are defined as: sea routes, ship management, technical management, commercial management, crew management, ship finance and mortgages, marine insurance, maritime legal services, shipbroking and ship chartering.